URL: http:///en/Students.print
Generiert am:


If, as a student you pursue a part-time freelancing job (e.g. student assistant) you are entitled to maternity benefits during your maternity leave. During this time a work prohibition prevails, which can be waived prior to delivery. To obtain maternity benefits, three requirements must be fulfilled:

Places to go for information

Child benefits

Even if you are still receiving child benefits for yourself, the "Familienkasse" (government family insurance fund) will not cease the payment despite a leave of absence, if the interruption is due to maternity leave. This applies to the semester in which the delivery is expected and at most until the end of the month in which the period of protection expires (eight weeks after delivery). In case of an additional leave of absence, child benefits will no longer be paid. Students receive the minimum rate for 12 months ("Elterngeld"- parenting benefits), after which they may only extend it to 14 months in total (partner months) if an earned income was procured before the birth of the child. If a second child is born, you receive, in addition, at least 75€, if the first child is under three years of age at that point, or you have two additional children under the age of six.

Single parent

As a single parent you also receive parenting benefits for 14 months, if:

  • you have sole custody and the sole right to determine the place of residence,
  • you and the child live in the same apartment without the other parent,
  • or through childbirth a possible earned income is decreased.

After maternity leave you may take parental leave if you have secondary employment. Both the mother and father are entitled to this. You are entitled to take parental leave up to the third year of the child's life. This said, a measure of time up to one year may be transferred and used, up to the eighth year of the child's life. Whilst taking parental leave, a maximum of 30 hours a week are allowed to be worked in part-time employment.


In accordance with §§ 13 ff and the education grant law, student parents sharing a household with their own child under the age of 10 years, an additional sum of 113 € for the first child and 85 € for every additional child is included in the calculation. This supplementary child allowance can, however, not be applied for by both parents simultaneously. If pregnancy and the upbringing of your child should lead to a delay in your studies, such a postponement can be remunerated by BaföG. A lack of child care possibilities is however, not recognised as a valid reason for an extension in BaföG-payments.

Valid reasons for an extension are: pregnancy/delivery = 1 semester in total, for parental leave up to the 5th year of the child's life = 5 semesters in total, for parental leave during the 6th and 7th year of the child's life = 1 semester in total. If you receive a grant due to above mentioned reasons, exceeding the maximum grant period, it is calculated as a full grant that does not need to be paid back. If your graduation is delayed further due to difficult circumstances, a graduation grant in the form of an unsubsidised bank loan can be awarded for a maximum of 12 months, if within 4 semesters after exceeding the maximum grant period admission to the final examination has been accepted and it is expected that your studies will be concluded within 1 year.

If you receive BAföG and in addition work part-time, certain limits to additional incomes are raised/ also if you are married/life partnership and have children. Income over and above these limits is subtracted from the BAföG grant. Foundations Scholarship holders with child(ren) under certain circumstances receive a family bonus from the relevant foundation. Please inquire about the regulations here.

Housing subsidies

Housing subsidies ("Wohngeld"), benefits in accordance with the Social Security Code (SGB II): If due to maternity leave or child care you are unable to pursue your studies and are on corresponding university leave for the same reasons, you are theoretically entitled to state social benefits in accordance with the Social Security Code (SGB II). Contact: Jenarbeit. In accordance with the Social Security Code (SGB II), the benefits thereby include: standard unemployment benefits (ALG II) for daily requirements (food, clothing etc.), taking over of accommodation and heating costs, taking over of health insurance fees if the family-policy is no longer valid. Under aged children are entitled to their own benefits. As a member of a so-called household-sharing community ("Bedarfsgemeinschaft") with the guardian, they receive equal social benefits. Parents who are not entitled to social benefits, can in accordance thereby still claim benefits for their child(ren). Higher needs are also subsidised. Such grants may be applied for, for example, by enrolled female students who would normally be studying. Acknowledgement of higher needs: for pregnant women from the 13th week of pregnancy amounting to 17% of the applicable standard benefits per child, higher needs for single parents amounting to 36% of the applicable standard benefits if the child is under seven years of age, if two children are under the age of 16 or from the third child onwards an amount totalling 12% of applicable standard benefits per child, higher needs due to costly special diets. Special needs arising from the birth of a child (such as: initial outfitting of maternity clothing and the child's layette), may be applied for as a one-off payment.

The possibility of using a housing subsidy as a rent rebate depends on the number of family members, the total income and the amount of the eligible rent. Non-eligible applicants: recipients of unemployment benefits (ALG II)/social welfare benefits. Recipients of Social Security Code (SGB XII) benefits, students receiving BaföG.

Students can, however, claim a housing subsidy, if they are entitled to BaföG and have a child but do not receive BaföG or unemployment benefits (ALG II). The following criteria must be fulfilled:

  • permanent residence at the study location,
  • your own household,
  • no financial support from parents,
  • credible income

Important to know: if your child receives social welfare benefits, he/she is not eligible for a housing subsidy; you can, however, apply for a housing subsidy yourself. The monetary support is then granted only from the beginning of the month onwards, by the housing subsidy office where the application was accepted. Generally, the grant is then effective for one year.

Supplementary child allowance

Parents with a low income who have unwed children under the age of 25 living in their household and are able to afford their own maintenance but are, however, unable to finance that of their children, are entitled to a supplementary child allowance (140 €/ child for a maximum of 36 months). Applications are accepted at the family insurance fund office in your local employment agency. However, students entitled to benefits in accordance with the Social Security Code SGB II or SGB IX will not be granted a supplementary child benefit. As a single parent, your underage child is entitled to an advance on maintenance payments, if he/she lives with you in one household and you receive little or no child maintenance from the other parent. The monthly benefits amount to: for children up to 6 years of age: 133 €, for children from 6 to under 12 years of age: 180 €. The benefit is paid for a total of 6 years, but not exceeding the end of the 12th year of the child's life. Advances on maintenance payments must be applied for in writing at the youth social welfare office ("Jugendamt"). The parent responsible for child maintenance will then be informed of the advance payment and summoned to repay it.

Welcoming package for children of students

The welcoming packages are available at the student service's INFOtake in Jena (Ernst-Abbe-Platz 5). Required documents are the baby's birth certificate and the student I.D. of either of the parents.